Monday, February 18, 2008

Everything Truely is Art

I was thinking this weekend about the activity we did in class last week involving the beat and solfege cards. When I used this activity the goal was to re-create the song that the children had heard. I was not truely focusing too much on the patterns that the actual square cards were taking. When I did this exercise last week in class with my fellow graduate students I noticed how even the mere set up of these cards in a block form is art. It is funny how we set out to create a "pre-determined" art form, in my case music, and wind up creating unexpected are simply through the process. After reading the quote from my last post the statement by Nachmanovitch that "Everything we do is art" really is starting to sink in. I want to consider approaching the physical act of music making as art not just the product of this act.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Here's a question to consider: if most education (including most music education) is concerned with convergent thinking (one right answer), how do you go about introducing divergent thinking (many possible right answers: i.e. creativity) into the system?

music improv said...

I feel like "divergent thinking" is slowly emerging into an educational system of "convergent thinking". For me I have almost always been educated in a "convergent" way. NYU is really the first major outlet that has allowed me to consider the possibility of "many right answers". It is a tough battle to pick especially today when we have institutions like "No Child Left Behind" where standardized testing revolving around "one" right answer is much of the focus in school. All we can really do as educators is slowly start incorporating this "divergent thinking" into our lives and the lives of our students. Change takes time and as one of my professors at NYU last semester said,"You can begin to insight change once you have solidified your place with in the system." I guess it starts with baby steps like the game we played with note cards and arranging them in different patterns rather than writing a standard form on the blackboard for people to follow!