Saturday, February 23, 2008

"Galumphing"

In my reading of Nachmanovitch I came across the term, "Galumphing" (Nachmanovitch, 44). I have not been able to get this term out of my head the past few days, especially as I am coming up with my lesson plans for my classes next week as they get back from their week long vacation. I must include this small passage on the definition of "galumphing" in order to explain why it has been on my mind. "Galumphing is the immaculately rambunctious and seemingly inexhaustible play-energy apparent in puppies, kittens, children and baby baboons- and also in young communities and civilizations. Galumphing is the seemingly useless elaboration and ornamentation of activity. It is profligate, excessive, exaggerated..." (Nachmanovitch, 44).
At first glance of this word, "galumphing" I simply thought, "What a fun word!". Fun and playful are key descriptors that come to mind. When I f stepped foot into my classroom at the beginning of this year I admit I had a set, detailed lesson plan of what the students "would" be able to do and what they "would" learn by the end of my lesson. It was very structured and I learned almost immediately upon implementing my first lesson that structure is only good to an extent. It was good that I had a game plan of the materials, repertoire and games I wanted to use that day. I have always been a good "planner" and "organizer". What I was not good at, yet was "galumphing". In becoming a teacher you are granted the responsibility for a group of children which can be misinterpreted as "power" over this certain group. I admit I entered my first day of class more with the notion of having "power or control" over my classes and with this power and control I would be able to build and improve young musicians.
Those days of the "power" notion ended quickly! I still want and hope that my teaching will help guide my students in their musicianship as well as help them develop an appreciation of music. By the third week of teaching this year my demeanor had changed and I was able to free myself of my prior mindset. (Thanks to a few professors in my graduate work!) I thankfully realized that my students who were coming to me after a long day of academic schooling, wanted, needed and were unavoidably going to "galumph". To be quite honest after a long day in graduate classes I needed it as well. So I have taken this idea of playful energy and exaggeration and put it into my teaching and my still organized lessons.
When I read this excerpt last week I realized that this is the word I have been looking for to describe how I need and want to approach teaching music. I teach at an elementary level where the children are always filled with excessive energy and spontaneity. I really feel that especially as your students get older and perhaps a bit lazier due to fatigue an amazing approach to education could revolve around this simple, silly word. When I think back to my core high school classes like history, English, Spanish etc. I recall my favorite teachers and the classes where I learned the most were the ones that forced me to "galumph"!

No comments: