Friday, February 15, 2008

"We have no art, everything we do is art" (Nachmanovitch, 19)

When reading recently I came across the titled quote in Free Play.  "We have no art, everything we do is art, " according to the Balinese.  I really was effected by this quote in the sense that it is so true.  Nachmanovitch uses a number of examples of how we improvise in different professions without even realizing it.  Specifically he referenced how our everyday speech is in essence an improvisation.  This quote and idea of the unplanned and unpredicted are so "un-classroom like". It is true that there needs to be "planning" in terms of being an educator but how can we take an idea of an undetermined outcome and use it in the classroom with out a pre-planned end goal?  (I hope this is making sense!).  If "everything we do is art" perhaps as music educators we are simply trying to enhance and call to attention this art, rather than "create" or "teach" art/music.  I'm not quite sure where I am going with this, perhaps a new attitude and approach to "teaching" music in the classroom that I myself may attempt.  Nachmanovitch goes on to say that the,"teachers art is to connect" (Nachmanovitch, 20).  Is this true? Maybe as an educator it is my responsibility to draw out this connection of how our daily lives that are in essence the art connect to music.  
I will be following up with these notions in the next blog~

No comments: